06 March 2010


I thought it might be nice if once a week, or once in awhile as the case may be, I shared a product that I love for children. Maybe an art supply, a toy, a book or a piece of clothing. For me it is an enjoyable way of bringing together two things I love::little children (I used to be a Waldorf kindergarten teacher) and lovely design (before becoming a Mama, I owned a home wares shop with a friend). They won't be things I always own and some may be rather expensive, as good quality things often are. I also hope it will not be giving the message that we need to be buying things for our little ones all of the time. Rather, it will just be a way of sharing products that inspire me because of their ability to capture the magic of childhood and bottle it up into a beautiful, simple, well-made delight for children. Maybe someone will be inspired to take an idea and make it their own, with their own hands at home, while others may just rejoice in the feeling that so many people in so many parts of the world honor and understand children enough to create lovely things for them to grow up with. We will call it, "a little something lovely"! 
*  *  *  *  *
So, let's begin right away than, shall we?
I'm quite smitten with these window crayons made by the wonderful German company, Lyra. They are non-toxic and last for a long time. They may be used on any glass surface and clean up so easily with a bit of soap and water. I love how they give a child the freedom to experiment with drawing on a surface other than paper. It feels so different to draw on glass and on such a large "canvas". They also provide a lovely opportunity for children to see the play between color and light. How does orange look when it is a gray day? When there is a blanket of white snow behind it? When the sun is shining through it? We have these crayons in our home and my son enjoys cleaning up after using them with a little spray bottle of water and a towel. So, a bit of water play is involved too! What could be better!

6 comments:

  1. Love it - we have the window markers at home and they are so much fun. Can't wait for the next Something Lovely! great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, great idea! Plus, love the "a little something lovely" image!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I seen these and was thinking about getting a set. I think I just might go ahead and get them now. :) Thanks for the link to the face plate. Bailey loves it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh - I will have to try these - my son and daughter would absolutely love them. Check out my blog - I gave you an award. I hope you have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. somehow I stumbled onto your blog...and am loving it! I'm following:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I look forward to your "a little something LOVELY" posts! GREAT IDEA! WINDOW WAX--- how fabulous!

    ReplyDelete

I read and cherish all of your comments! It really feels like such an honor that you stopped by this little space of mine. Thank you so much! Cheers!
a

Related Posts with Thumbnails