07 October 2010



The other day we brought home some lovely cobs of corn from a local farm. The iridescent kernels look like the shimmering scales of a mermaids tail and never cease to amaze me. I thought it would be nice to string them into a fall harvest necklace. Maybe you would like to make one too!

1. Find some lovely corn (even all yellow kernels would be beautiful too!)
2. Take off the individual kernels. This part is fun for little hands!
3. Soak the kernels in warm water for a few hours until they are soft enough to push a needle through.
4. Thread a needle and start stringing the corn. The white part of the kernel is usually the easiest part to push the needle through.
5. When you reach the desired length tie the two ends together and there you have it! 

Oh...and the husks can be soaked in warm water too and made into a corn husk doll!


9 comments:

  1. I adore the colors in Indian corn as well, I was just admiring some at a farmstand yesterday. Very clever project, I love how it turned out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. amazing.. can't believe this is real. looks like jelly beans! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a really neat craft. Very creative! The children I teah will love this hand work. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh how I love this - thanks for the detailed directions.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this project! I spotted it on The Crafty Crow and had to pop over to thank you! What a wonderful balance of process and product--a kid-made necklace I would be proud to wear!

    ReplyDelete
  6. these are lovely...i'm thinking of trying them with my preschoolers...thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this! I want to make one for myself... maybe a wrap around bracelet... thanks so much for the great idea, I'll be linking.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just want to let you know your beautiful necklace inspired our ornamental corn garland. I posted about our process on my site, and linked here. Thank you for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete

I read and cherish all of your comments! It really feels like such an honor that you stopped by this little space of mine. Thank you so much! Cheers!
a

Related Posts with Thumbnails