03 December 2010

drift wood & clay beads

We have had a lovely bundle of drift wood sitting in a glass jar since coming home from a week on the beach this summer. On a whim the other day I decided to pull out our paints, homemade clay beads and twine and figure out some way of putting them all together. We live in such a little house (really!) that it is always nice to reclaim even a small amount of counter space! 

Anyway, at first it felt a little funny painting the wood. It is so beautiful in its natural form and the color is always so soft and dreamy. Somehow though, adding some nice colors didn't seem to take away from seeing their true shape and it was fun to paint in all of the nooks and crannies. After letting the wood dry in the sun, my little one cut some long lengths of string which I wrapped and tied onto the main piece of wood, letting the extra hang down. Then, I strung a bead and tied a knot to keep it in place, wrapped the twine about six times around the painted drift wood, tied another knot and clipped off the extra length. 

I rather like it in all of its imperfection and haphazard twine tying. I think too that it will add a nice burst of color as our winter days grow nearer and it will fill us with memories of warm summer days in a little cabin on the beach packed full of the people we love.

Hope you all have a delightful weekend!

:::a little note:::
For you folks who subscribe (saying that makes me laugh) to this little blog, I'm just wondering if you have been getting emails when I do a new post? I'm just not sure if it is working! Okay, off I go.

4 comments:

  1. you take such incredibly beautiful photographs of all the incredibly beautiful things you make! such a joy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! I'm always hesitant to gild natures lilies as well, but sometimes the result is that our appreciation for the raw materials deepens when seen in a new light. I love the juxtaposition of the natural driftwood with the painted sticks, and the color soaked in so beautifully. The clay beads are the perfect balance to all that linearity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really cool! I like it a lot, i just buy wind chimes online because im not creative!

    ReplyDelete

I read and cherish all of your comments! It really feels like such an honor that you stopped by this little space of mine. Thank you so much! Cheers!
a

Related Posts with Thumbnails