23 February 2011

The Improvisational Quilts of Susana Allen Hunter

I feel so happy to have come across the work of Susana Allen Hunter thanks to the lovely site of Rosa Pomar. When I saw these quilts I just sat and stared and took a big breath. They are so rich, layered and perfectly imperfect. One has the feeling that behind each and every stitch lays a story waiting to be told. These must be the most beautiful quilts I have ever seen and I felt so excited and eager to share them in this space. 
Susana Allen Hunter (1912-2005) was an African-American who lived in rural Wilcox Country, Alabama where she and her family were tenant farmers or sharecroppers. Below are some of her quilts. 



Susan Allen Hunter
Thank you!


8 comments:

  1. I could stare at these quilts all day. Each one is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So beautiful! Just lovely, simple, perfect beauty. Thank you for sharing these quilts...!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Check out this book (I wool be surprised if she's not in it). So inspirational on many levels!
    "The Quilts of Gee's Bend"

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have heard of the book, "The Quilts of Gee's Bend". Thank you for reminding me of it! I am going to see if our library has it.
    Hope you all are well and thanks for stopping by!
    a

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are so beautiful! I just ran across them on your site and am still stunned. So lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These quilts remind me of the spirit of the hardworking women of the time. My grandma said that back in her early years there wasn't time to agonize over anything, they just did what they had to, full steam ahead! She also said that she had no trouble falling asleep. She was so tired she could hardly wait until her head hit the pillow! I feel strength when I look at these quilts and I admire the women who had to work so hard. Thank you for sharing these gorgeous pieces of art!

    ReplyDelete
  7. "They used what they had in those days."

    ReplyDelete

I read and cherish all of your comments! It really feels like such an honor that you stopped by this little space of mine. Thank you so much! Cheers!
a

Related Posts with Thumbnails